Fairbanks Offroad Lions

Go Back   Fairbanks Offroad Lions > Offroad Forums > New Members Intro

Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Default Just bought a ZJ / New to Off-roading

just bought a 97 grand cherokee couple months ago. took it out for a couple of rides on stock and got myself in trouble. finally put some decent tires on it after lifting it and i feel like the jeep is ready for some exploration and fun. the jeep is still a project so i'm still adding parts but i think i can do some basic off-roading with it as soon as i install the skid plates i pulled from a junkyard.

i am totally new to jeeps, cars, off-roading and everything.

anyway, haven't really done much except explore fort wainwright (approach/sage hill area) and just explore some trails along the highway. really looking forward to linking up with fellow offroaders around fairbanks so i can learn a thing or too. i'm a total noob at the moment.

i was reading about the delta mtn run coming up at the end of the month. what can i do to participate?

Last edited by iser; 09-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 PM
President

Just show up, welcome to the website. Just have your gear ready as we will be leaving Fbks around 6 that Friday. I look forward to meeting you and don't worry about being a rook, everyone in this club was at one time and many are still very green. We ALL learn everyday. Once again welcome.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM

alrighty. what kind of equipments should i prepare? what are some basic minimums i should prepare? got survival gear. got a hilift jack. got some tools for basic trail repair work. only major major major thing i'm missing right now is a recovery point in the front of my vehicle. (i know, it's crazy that a jeep didn't come with tow points). #1 on my list of upgrades is a recovery point. i am gonna hit up the junkyard and see if i can find a factory tow bracket for 93-98 grand chk but i did a cursory search last time but didn't find any.

off-the-shelf tow point mount for zj is about $300 online. does anyone know of a cheap reliable way to mount tow hooks onto a unibody without having to purchase or fabricate a mount of bracket for them? people have been telling me that without a bracket, the tow hook is just gonna rip off of the unibody.

btw, here is my build thread on jf.com:
build thread on jf.com

i've seen some cars on the road with offroad lions sticker on the car. saw one last friday in front of the welcome center on post actually. anyway, if any of you guys see me on the road (i haven't seen any other lifted 93-98 grand cherokees), give me a shout.

btw, are there many military members? (also, i'm in 1/24IN)

Last edited by iser; 09-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 AM
President

As far as gear goes go to the FAQ section, that will give you what we'd like to see on our rigs, but as far as the trip goes just be preparedto campand stay WARM! Lol
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Fairbanks Offroad Lions Member

Welcome. Im on ft wainwright as well and Im going to delta juntion trip so gimme a holler. PM would be best if you wanna get together and play around on post. I just went out yesterday. If you decide to go to delta, you can follow me and the fam too.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 AM
FSJ Junkie

There's a lot more than approach and sage there you just gotta explore. Some take you off post and you can get a decent pic by the pipeline there. And there's always powerline hill
Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 AM
FSJ Junkie

Go to the ski hill take a right and at the end you'll have powerline hill on your left. There's a little loop in the middle that'll take you to a nasty little tight hill climb ending up at an old camp ground up top. Take the road and the end to the left and you'll pass a weird slate play hill and end up at sage on your right. Go into Sage and stick to the left and your first left will take you to the pipeline with a little creek dip in the beginning. It's muskeg down there so easy in the winter. If after you take the left at Sage you take your first right you'll be on a trail I called Deet Trail after being stuck up it for 3 days and watch out for the tree. In the summer there's 2 or more feet of water on it so gotta watch out. Take the road by the little gate, can't remember name by RR tracks, and left after housing and there's Slate Hill and a bunch of trails around it there. One goes on top of the quarry with a nice, not too hard, rutty hill there.

Last edited by Stumblinman; 09-12-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM

okay, i think i'm gonna use this weekend to explore further into the post. saw some pictures on jeepforum.com of the pipelines.

btw, are we allowed to camp out on post? i know, i'm weird as hell, and i like hiking and camping by myself. don't feel like going far this weekend since i'm going out into the field next week. thinking about just spending a night out somewhere on post. basically, what i need to know is, are we allowed to build campfire in the training area of FWA?

k i think i'm gonna go to the junkyard on friday and pull the skidplates. install them saturday morning. camp out saturday night.