Fairbanks Offroad Lions

Go Back   Fairbanks Offroad Lions > Events > Past Events

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
President

Default 2012 Tired Iron

Well this was our second year supporting the Tired Iron event and I think it was AWESOME! This was our second year but the events 7th year.

First off I would like to say thank you to all of the non-members/prospects that took the time to help us set up, tear down, and stand out in the cold for two days timing and flagging for the race, also to the members and their families for coming and supporting us! Thank you!

Here is a breakdown of the weekend. On Friday we began hauling our stuff down onto the river to be ready to set up. Sat morning came quick and a few of us were on the river early to set up the booth and get vehicles and machines set up. Our booth was the highlight of the vendors I think, we had a nice warm area to come in and get snacks/hot choc/coffee and just visit. We also were right at the Start line. How cool is that?! By 9 am we were 15+ strong with manpower and helpers, machines were running, old timers were lining up and ready to race! So 2 1/2 hr later we got word the race was going to start in 10 mins. Timers took off for the check points and we were ready for the racing to begin!

It was a busy day of racing and visiting. The Jurassic Classic being the first race had Urban Rahoi out there on a machine he saw on Craigslist he found in Mich. Yes Mich., he jumped in his truck drove down and got it just for this race! He is 93 years old! Man I hope I'm still chasing Jeep around the country to race when I'm in my 90's!! The Iron Dog also fininshed up on the river that day. With everything going on there was a huge amount of folks on the river. At one point the Palin girl's ( with the reality camera's in tow ) came to our booth and were checking out Phil's puppy he had. Phil and Mike will be famous!!! Poor guys!!

So the day went on and we had a great time, after the day was over Matt and Danny stayed in the club trailer to be watch Lion's over our stuff. Sunday came fast as we were all tired from the previous day but lots to do. Sunday is the big race day, 5 races in all. We did our routine and timing going along well when I see Mike come in on the rescue sled! Mike was out shooting photo's and the ice gave way under him and he along with his camera's went in the river. I was not there but from the story Mike could not touch bottom and the current was pulling him down, lucky for him a machine was broken down close to where Mike went in the fella saw what happened and came over to help! That is very scary and too close! Well we got him in the club trailer and dry with new clothes and he was off agian taking pics. What a trooper! Turned into a nice warm sunny day just intime for our turn at the track. We were going to open this to the public and hold a race but ice conditions were a bit poor. Club memeber only ran the race as a fun run test to see how it would go. It was quite awesome and fun but narrow and tight. Danny Meaux left everyone behind even the big nasty 800 cc Can Am's!!! I got second and then Matt. How fun! Then it was a showdown between Tom and his Jeep and me in the Yellow one. All I can say was three days of working and standing in the cold was worth every second racing in that Jeep and having a good time. I felt like my father was riding with me! Very cool. Anyways Im sure I missed alot so I'll let someone else give their two cents.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM
FOL Officers

This was an event that I'll never forget. I am glad Linda and I participated. Should be able to post a few pictures soon... Sure am glad the cameras still work!
Looking forward to next year's Tired Iron. i'll be wearing my float coat.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM
FOL Officers

Pictures are posted in the gallery
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM
President

I just got a call from Dave with Tired Iron and he was very happy with us and very happy with the timing crews. Also to the crew that numbered machines coming in for the finish I.E 1,2,3 etc. as he explained he wanted, he said it was done perfectly and we saved the day as the electronic counters has a glitch and our hard copies made the diff. and let the correct sled win. I guess one fella who claims he should have won skipped a lap and our copies were the only solid proof of that. Good job guys. And good job Danny for organizing the timing crews and making it happen.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Secretary

Yes, I think we all had a great time. We were the hit of the weekend. I think everyone that was there visited our warm tent at least once
Was fun seeing the vintage sleds and the little kiddoes cruisin around the track on their 110's.... and of course, the moose poo bowling!
Was fun chit-chatting about our Club. Hopefully will see a few new faces at meetings/events in the future.
Grateful to the person that helped Mike out of the river.... very scary! Cant imagine what was going on in his mind.....
Thanks Mike for taking all the wonderful photos to help us remember the great weekend we all shared together! Makin memories..... right!
Also want to thank those who donated hot food and drinks. Sure was nice to have something warm in our bellies to keep us all going through out the weekend

I think we ALL rock!

Ashley took some video of the 4wheeler and Jeep race.... if they are "post" worthy, I will post them on the Facebook page...as I do not know how to do it here

Last edited by Wrangler X; 02-29-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Fairbanks Offroad Lions Member

Put those vids on you tube if ya have too!!! ...just sayin.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Secretary

Posted pics and videos on our facebook page