Fairbanks Offroad Lions

Go Back   Fairbanks Offroad Lions > Offroad Forums > General Offroad

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Default Equinox Marathon Trail request

Hello,

First off, I would like to apologize for not contacting you sooner. I have too many irons in the fire. I simply didnít think about contacting you guys until this afternoon.

The Interior Trails Preservation Coalition is asking for your help along two portions of the Equinox Marathon Trail on Ester Dome. ITPC is having a contractor work on those sections of trail to grade out rutted areas and put in rolling grade dips with water runouts. These features are being put in to help control water runoff and reduce erosion. Happy Trails started work this week and will be done by next week. We are asking motorized vehicles to stay off the work for about two weeks in order to let it settle.

The two sections (both on state Department of Natural Resources land) are:
ē Out the ridge trail (also known as the Nugget Creek Loop Trail). The works starts just after where the Tri-Con Road connects to the ridge trail and ends at the Equinox Marathon turnaround, so you can still go from the top of Ester Dome down the Tri-Con Road without going over the new work.
ē The portion of trail that parallels Ester Dome Road from where the trail leaves Ester Dome Road at Mile 1.2 and where it re-enters the road near its intersection with Henderson Road (Mile 2.6 Ester Dome Road).

I realize that some people wonít like ďtamingĒ those trails. As a mountain biker I understand. I find rutted trails challenging and often enjoy them. However, we are making these changes in order to accommodate a wide variety of trail users, including walkers, cross-country skiers, and low-key runners and bikers. We are also trying to control water runoff so that the erosion doesnít get out of hand. I have instructed our contractor to make sure the trail is passable by all trail users, including motorized users. Motorized trail users have historically used these sections of trail, and I have no desire to try to change that. Also we are just working on portions of the Equinox Marathon Trail. We donít have any plans to work on other trails on Ester Dome.

Again, I apologize for not contacting you sooner on this. If you already have a ride planned on one of those trail sections, I certainly wonít hold it against your group if you go. I also realize that while I am contacting all three off-road groups and both snowmachine groups in the area, I wonít be reaching all motorized users.

If you do make an effort to stay off the work for a couple of weeks, then thank you. If you have any questions or comments, please donít hesitate to send me an email.

Eric Troyer
President, Interior Trails Preservation Coalition
Editor and publisher, Interior Trails Quarterly
fbxtrails@gmail.com
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM

UPDATE
Due to other work, our trail contractor was not about to work on the section of trail that parallels Ester Dome Road from where the trail leaves Ester Dome Road at Mile 1.2 and where it re-enters the road near its intersection with Henderson Road (Mile 2.6 Ester Dome Road). He plans to do that work in September. I will let you know when that will happen when we get a firm date.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Default Another Update

Our contractor was finally able to get to the second section (the portion that parallels Ester Dome Road) this past weekend. Sorry I didnít get to you sooner on this.

People did stay off the work on the first section (ridge trail) until it settled. Now it can take all kinds of trail traffic, motorized and non-motorized. Several Equinox participants said they appreciated the improvements. If you stayed off the trail because of my request, thank you very much.

And if you do make an effort to stay off the most recent work for a couple of weeks, thank you. If you have any questions or comments, please donít hesitate to send me an email.

Eric Troyer
President, Interior Trails Preservation Coalition
Editor and publisher, Interior Trails Quarterly
fbxtrails@gmail.com

Tags
equinox, marathon, trail