Fairbanks Offroad Lions

Go Back   Fairbanks Offroad Lions > Offroad Forums > New Members Intro

Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Default UAF Student, fairly new to Jeeps

Hey all, I'm Sean. 23, attending UAF for Mining Engineering, transferred up here in the fall of '10. Lived in Maryland for most of my life. I met up with a few of your members earlier this summer, late-June-ish, I think it was (You'll have to forgive me, but I've forgotten your names. You were rock-hunting though, and showed my friends and I a good time in the process, thanks!)

Anyway, I bought my Jeep at the start of the summer ('99 TJ Sport), and now I'm looking into winterizing it. I made a thread over on the jeepforums, but didn't get any responses, so I was hoping I could maybe get some input here.

The previous owner used it as a daily driver and had it parked in a garage at night. It has some winterization done (Oil pan heater, perhaps?). I still haven't gotten outside/under the hood to check just which winterization I've got right now, but I do know that I've got a cord, and it plugs into... something. So, pretend for a moment that I've just got a stock TJ, not prepped for sub-zero temperatures. Considering that it'll be sitting outside for days at a time in the on-campus parking lots, plugged in:
*What would be the bare minimum winterizing you recommend I have installed to keep the Jeep healthy as a once-or-twice-a-week driver?
*Is there even a bare minimum, or should I just get a full winterization package? If so, what would that look like?
*What sort of cost am I looking at for either of the above?
*For someone with relatively little experience under the hood, but willing & eager to learn, would installation at home be feasible, or would I be better off just paying to have a professional do the installation?

Thanks for any replies, folks, I really appreciate any advice you can offer!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM
President

You need a block heater, it goes in the block where the freeze plugs are, oil pan and battery heater are mins you should have. -40/-50 is not good time to find that out.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Agreed, American tire & Auto has a $299 winterization special I heard on the radio, seems like a decent deal as other places are over $400. I would do it myself..... but I don't like dealing with the block heater, but the rest is easy. So I paid for it, to avoid messing with the block heater. But doing it yourself would save a lot. Parts and supplies would probably be less than $100.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Fairbanks Offroad Lions Member

Well, welcome, IM also from Maryland.

Winterizing is easy. Block heater is the hardest part and you can probably find someone to just do that if your not up to it and save some money. May not be that hard on your jeep. It wasnt on my chevy colorado but was a bit** on my Xterra so I did it on the chevy and had the dealer do the Xterra
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM

The block heater on a 4.0l jeep motor is one of the easiest ones out there to change. If you have any mechanical skill you can change it yourself for the price of the heater (30 bucks) and some coolant.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM

That makes sence. They usually make heeps really easy to work on cuz they break so often.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM
President

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! You just became the next victim I will enjoy pulling out with the Jeep!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Well, the opportunity was there, someone had to take it. Might as well have been a former jeep guy!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the quick and detailed responses, folks! Sounds like I've got another weekend project ahead of me.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 AM
harry045

I would do it myself..... but I don't like dealing with the block heater, but the rest is easy. So I paid for it, to avoid messing with the block heater. But doing it yourself would save a lot. Parts and supplies would probably be less than $100.