Fairbanks Offroad Lions

Go Back   Fairbanks Offroad Lions > Offroad Forums > General Offroad

Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Default The Haul Road

I am planning a trip up the haul road over the weekend of the fourth. I am looking for any suggestions on things to check out and general advice on the trip.

Any and all input is welcome.

Tad, 2000 Nissan X...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
President

Bring a spare tire if not two. How far are you going? Been up there many,many,many times. BUG DOPE!!!!!! Tell me how far and I'll let you know what's cool for the distance your going.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 PM

There are two vehicles and we are going all the way to Deadhorse, leaving Wednedsay afternoon ish, to the Yukon. then the next day to Galbraith lake for the night. then into Deadhorse on Friday. We have scheduled the Arctic Ocean tour for 3 pm Friday. Then depart Deadhorse that evening and find a place to camp and roll back to town sometime saturday or Sunday. What do you think?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM
President

Be very very careful when approaching semi's they DO NOT like cars on THIER road and if they think you are going to fast they WILL try and crowd you off the road! You better move to the side and let them by or im telling you they will crowd you off the road. c.b is a must, just listen to them on 19/25. they'll talk smack when they pass you. Not mind you not all of them but just be cautious! Plan on spending time from coldfoot to Atigun pass, that is the best and coolest area IMO. Once you get past atigun 30 miles or so it is very baron and dull. Don't expect much from Deadhorse it's like being in a industrial frieght yard and the rooms are crap and way way over priced. Remember you are going to an oil field construction camp basically. I've worked up there since 97. If it were me I'd plan on staying around coldfoot or Atigun and just do a marathon day to Deadhorse and back. But hey that's me. It's cool to say you've been in the Arctic Ocean but its pretty.....well dull. But I may be predjudice since I've seen it and I guess it's just not very exciting. Once you go over atigun pass there are zero trees and just rolling hills then flat and baron for 150 miles. I also recommend a c.b is a must for safety!

Last edited by drvnmsbessie; 07-01-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 PM

yes, I am familar with the north slope I have been all over it, mostly in the winter though. this more of a bonding time with my son and just an "Been there done that" trip.

looks like I will be installing a CB tomorrow night. lol

thanks for all the advice. maybe we can run a trail sometime..
Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 PM
President

Nice! I feel better then, you'll be fine then. I believe pump 4 there is a mountain across the highway with old caves and paintings and such in it. Have fun and don't let the bugs eat ya to death!